Do you have a concern about the care you received at ANHC?

Please let us know if you are unhappy with the care you have received at ANHC.


Send an email to or call 907-743-7200. 

Claims or notice of medical malpractice claims
should be submitted by a claimant (patient) to
the Office of General Counsel at:

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

Office of the  Office of General Counsel Law Division

Claims and Employment Law Branch

330 C Street, SW

Attn: CLAIMS Switzer Building, Suite 2600
Washington D.C., 20201

Phone: (202) 691-2369
Fax: (202) 619-2922




ANHC is open Monday through Friday and closed on Saturday and Sunday.


MEDICAL CLINIC: M-F from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

DENTAL CLINIC: M-F from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.

PHARMACY: M-F from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.



Main phone number: (907) 743-7200

Medical Clinic: (907) 743-7201

Dental Clinic: (907) 743-7202

Pharmacy Prescription Refill Line: (907) 743-7208

Medical Records fax: (907) 743-7255

Anchorage Neighborhood Health Center

4951 Business Park Blvd

Anchorage AK 99503


ANHC is a Health Center Program grantee under 42 U.S.C. 254b and a deemed Public Health Service employee under 42 U.S.C. 233 (g)-(n).

 © 2020 Anchorage Neighborhood Health Center